Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Bulk Cooking

A few years ago when I studied full time, worked full time and also worked many hours of volunteerism I used to bulk cook. It was great to come home to a meal that just needed to be heated up. So after reading Frugal Queen's bulk cooking post I thought I would give it a go again.

But it ended up being one big stress!!!
  • 1st my kitchen is tiny, cluttered and very hard to work in. 
  • 2nd someone came 3 hours early to look at my old bomb of a car I was selling whilst I was in the throes of it all. 
  • 3rd the weather was so hot I was melting away. 
  • 4th my partner came home and needed the kitchen area for his catch of the day.
I felt so bad as my poor Dolly was not given the attention or respect she deserved as I wasted so much time in the kitchen stressing and getting cranky. I had hoped to get it all done in 1.5 hours but I had so many interruptions.. a few hours latter I was still at it. Dolly and I had planned to start our wet season gardening, but I ran out of time and broke her little excited heart :-(

However I'm sure the weekdays will be easier this week, as I made: 
  • Chicken & Vegetable Soup; with left over roast chicken, ginger, celery, onion, carrot, beans and dried herbs.
  • Vegetarian Pasta Sauce; with ginger, carrot, broccoli, onion, celery, mushrooms and tinned tomatoes.
  • Lamb Curry; with lamb, pumpkin, beans, celery, onion, tinned tomatoes and lots of spices.
  • Pot of spaghetti. 
Soup, Pasta Sauce and Pasta.
Slow Cooking Lamb and Vegetable Curry
With meals already prepared Dolly and I might be able to squeeze a few minutes in the garden most days this week (after I get home from work at 5:00pm).

All of my meals were made in quantities enough for 2 nights of meals. Half was portioned, labelled and frozen for the next couple of weeks. Bulk cooking does save me time and the consumption of electricity. It's frugal and it's a more Eco way of cooking. All I need to do is enjoy the reduced amount of cooking time this week and give bulk cooking another go next weekend with hopefully no interruptions.

By the way... I sold my old car.. for a cheap $200. A mechanic purchased it. He's going to fix it up and re sell it. I'm very happy it's gone - out of sight and out of mind. Happier days ahead.

Do you bulk / batch cook? Or do you prefer the very French way of shopping and cooking daily? Any other ways you cook? Share your methods.

4 comments:

  1. It may be cluttered, you may have had to multi-task by you did it! give yourself a pat on the back and welcome to the deep and satisfying world of saving money and time when you eat later.froogs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you did great! I used to do this alot when my kids were young. It's difficult with constant interruptions or 'help' lol!

    I'm looking forward to our house move as I'm using it as a fresh-start. I've been chaotic in the shopping and cooking department, and getting worse since I gave up work. Wasting too much money and food *hangs head in shame* Big plans to improve!

    pamela x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Pamela.
    I was going to weekly shop and bulk cook again this afternoon. But life played a dirty joke: my partner was in a car crash. He's okay (6 hours in hospital). It's been a week of drama's for us and the bulk cooking I did last weekend really saved the day most days. Tonight was takeaway though as we are just too tired and we no longer have a car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope there's no lasting damage and you both get over this quickly.
    Sending love and hugs;)
    pamela x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.