Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fish Fish and More Fish for Dinner.

I am pleased that my man The Rambling Expat quit the big spend lifestyle and joined me on our frugal adventure to a better future. I am so happy he is no longer a drinker or smoker. He does have a hobby which can be a tad expensive. But in the long run it's cheaper and healthier then going to the pub with the boys and he brings home the "bacon" after his adventures so to speak.

The Rambling Expat loves to fish. On the weekend he went off with a friend who has a boat, for 2 days out on the wide blue seas. He spent $90AUS in boat fuel, gear, bait, ice and nibbles. Which broken down to an hourly rate is dirt cheap. But the best thing is my hunter man brought back 5 various fish for us to eat. We had Tuna, Snapper and Mackrel.
Snapper (with fork for idea of size).
Last night we had Tuna and tomorrow night will be Snapper. I gave a fresh fish to my mum and also some cooked Tuna. I gave a fish to my neighbour Thai Lady because she has spoilt me a lot lately with lovely Thai dishes and that free massage. And I have frozen a smaller fish with big teeth for a Aboriginal Man from the desert area of the Northern Territory. He asked me to catch him a sea fish as he never gets to the sea. I told him in exchange we would like a invite to his community and a stint of traditional fishing with him in his river, he said okay...

To read about The Rambling Expat's fishing adventure and 1st ever Tuna caught click HERE.

Do you hunt or fish in your part of the world? Please share what you do and how you do it. It's very interesting how different people and cultures hunt and gather food sources in various ways. I would love to hear about your methods, modern or traditional.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    For the people interested in fishes, the one for the man from the desert is called a Tuskfish.
    After the link, is a photograph and some information about this type of fish:

    http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/NOV05/Black_Spot_Tuskfish(Choerodon_schoenleinii).html

    Have a good day,
    Me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.