Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Decluttering

Dolly and I sorted through 2 tubs of toys in an attempt to declutter our home and make room for her and her friends to play in our small flat. Not fair on her as the last 4 purchases I made were not for her, but I had to find stuff to leave the house of the same size or bigger and it's been getting harder. Plus I'm so messy everything always looks worst then it is.

Clutter is a drain on time, mental space and money, as misplaced items cause money wasted on new purchases, late fees and so on and so on... One of my problem areas I have been tackling in my life and I think getting better at it in the past year. (I think blogging helps me.)

Anyway this is what left our home today.

  • Dolly = 2 bags of toys and 1 toy trolley to op shop.
  • Me = 1 small bag of stuff to op shop.
  • Plus 1 bag of broken bits to rubbish bin.

Goodbye Stuff

Tomorrow night I plan to go through one of my boxes (not Dolly's), after we have had dinner with our friend Ms Dig who is buying us a picnic Pizza dinner. Looking forward to catching up with her and being entertained by her stories, chatting about our lives, chatting about blogging, asking filming and you tube uploading advice and taking some photos to load up here.

So are you a clutter bug and what do you do about it? Advice welcome here.

PS; I have a generous Giveaway for readers in Australia in the pipeline. I would love you to "Follow" me so I know who you are if your not already a follower.

7 comments:

  1. I'm a maaaassive hoarder, although I'm really trying to get better with it! Don't know if you've heard of the Fly Lady (google her!), but my mum introduced me to her and her decluttering ways. It's a good way to get a focus/goal!

    Saying that, I'm still surrounded by three boxes of uni stuff (from July) that I have no idea what to do with!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did so well with my decluttering in the Easter Holidays-made each area one of my 101 goals so I was inspired to do it.

    HOWEVER IT STILL NEEDS MANAGING AND CHECKING..need to do some of that.

    Congrats with your decluttering and the life lessons you are teaching your little girl.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too struggle with clutter. My Mum was a hoarder so that doesn't help. I tend to get tempted to buy more than I have space for. I am getting better at taking stuff to the charity shop and have donated loads! I think you did well to get rid of all those things today. You are an inspiration to all of us clutterbugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am having a major declutter/spring clean atm. They say you should always do the kitchen, laundry etc.last as you use them to help spring clean your other rooms (water,sinks,cleaners etc)
    However I decided to do the kitchen first as it was the room I dreaded doing the most. I thought if I can get the kitchen done I can do anything!!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pile of stuff needing to be taken to the op shop.I think we might have a garage sale for the rest of the items, or market? I don't think you need advice, i think you are on to it. Way to go !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of de-cluttering happening at our house too.

    Oh doesn't it feels so much better to have less stuff :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.