Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Friday, December 30, 2011

On Holidays and a Cut Back In Pay.

Today I am on holidays for 4 weeks. Yeeee Hahhhh. Then back to work for 2 weeks on my regular hours and then.... DRUM ROLL... my hours are cut back by 25% for a 3 month trial.

That also means a cut back in my pay packet by 25% and a cut back in my Superannuation for retirement. Ouch!   But this is why I'm frugal and have been saving like mad, so that I can have extra time with my daughter.

I will be able to pick Dolly up from school each afternoon, help her with learning and other fun activities. We will have time to cook, craft, garden, read and play instead of me nagging her to eat quickly, brush her teeth and get into pyjamas. I can't wait for the lifestyle change!

We only have 1 car so to do this I will have to ride my bike to work and back each day. 1 hour of riding and as I get fitter this should reduce to 40 minutes of riding each day. Making me fitter, healthier, leaner and more eco. Extra gardening may mean more fresh produce. More time to cook may mean cheaper and healthier home cooked meals. So even though I'm cutting back on money coming in, I hope the change of lifestyle not only brings me more joy but also more time to be organised and savings in fuel, health and food.

Here's to a less hurried life! Bottoms up. Chin Chin. Cheers.

9 comments:

  1. Yay!! You have so much to look forward to in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brave but considered new change in life.

    Sounds like everyone will benefit 100%!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you all e best for the coming year. Enjoy your break and new pace of life

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! It will be great. There is no price tag big enough for the quality of time you will have with Dolly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to love it! This year I went the opposite from part time to full time and I would be lying if I said some days I really regret it! 2012 will definately bring you some exciting changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That actually sounds blissful. Of course it will be a blow to the finances, but that is definitely not everything in life, and certainly not the most important. Spending more time with your daughter will be worth so much more! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im pleased for you.
    Happy new year
    nto
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds to me like a wonderful improvement in the family's lifestyle. Time spent with your children is vitally important. The lessons are all around us. To paraphrase Chief Seattle, "You can't hug money."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that your plans are coming together Dolly will love it that you will be able to pick her up from school.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.