Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pomme D'Amour

I'm in Love! I have been decadent and allowed myself to bite into the crunchy sweetness to reach the tangy juicy centre. Mmmm heavenly evening. I am eating pomme d'amour after pomme d'amour. Love Apples or as we call them here in Australia, Toffee Apples. I love toffee apples. The sweet sickly treat from my childhood. Red like Snow White's lips. 




I was admiring Foxs Lane's blog post when I thought to myself "Stephanie, go on... You can do it. Just give it a go and you might be sweetly rewarded for your effort." And happily rewarded I have been as no one else in my family likes them. A large clear bowl sits in the middle of the fridge filled to the brim with these glittering red jewels. The fridge has never looked so pretty.




These were not as hard to make as I had anticipated and may become a go to recipe when I want to spoil myself. However you do have to work fast as the toffee hardens surprisingly quickly. These sweet treats cost me $1.10 each. I rarely see them for sale in my town - but when I do, I think they are at the $3 mark. I was also thinking how pretty these would look with a ribbon on the stick. They would make lovely gifts for sweet toothed adults.

Do you have any sweet childhood treats you dream about from time to time? Go on do tell, because I love sugar and spice and all things nice,



Stephanie @ Frugal Down Under.




1 comment:

  1. YES!!! I've been admiring the pretty red bowl full in my fridge too.
    Although mine seem to be disappearing quickly.
    I'm so thrilled you made some.
    Happy Sunday. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.