Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Friday, April 29, 2011

10 Days Off - Day 6 Wednesday 27/4

Today was an expensive day!!! I took Dolly for her 1st eye test which was FREE however I was face to face with a pair of glasses that I LOVED and been staring at through the window for the last 6 months. Today was the day that I purchased them. They were not a need as I already have 1 pair of glasses. But I really WANTED them. They are eccentric and fun and make me feel ALIVE.
Dame Edna-ish
After the eye test I spent the morning at Dolly's school helping out, as being a full time worker I never get a chance to hang out in her class with her. It was very interesting to see how she interacts with teachers and children. I found that she was strong and not an insecure outsider as she was a childcare in 2010. Her confidence has blossomed and this makes me worry less. She has a bossy streak, but I'm a bossy mum and it's probably rubbed off on her.

We then spent the rest of the afternoon at home doing a few quick chores and lots of cutting and pasting at our new workstation. One of her favourite activities. We had planned a quality day together, doing whatever she wanted and this was her choice. Fun and frugal (after such a splurge in the morning). I was happy, she was happy... as we cut up scrap pieces of paper and other bits and bobs sourced from waste materials, birthday gifts and Boss Lady.
Simple Crafts.
Do you fall prey to Wants versus Needs?

3 comments:

  1. Oh definitely fall prey to wants rather than needs and can convince myself that I need things really easily. At the moment I have been building up some baby items, portable cot, high chair and have just got a stroller from a friend who was finished with it, all because I have 3 new grand daughters. On the upside I am managing to get through my own clutter as I am determined not to bring new things in without getting rid of some stuff.

    Love that you have been able to share what has been happening on your blog.

    xxx Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like your having a great time off work. Oh to not have to work at all and just fill our days doing as we please with our children would be wonderful. I'll dream on.

    I love your new glasses. They are very Dame Edna and look really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Serendipity, Good scores on the baby gear! Have you tried Freecycle in your area?

    Hi Karen, Yes I wish for the day I don't have to work. If only I'd been frugal 10 years ago. Then I could be part time now. The aim is retirement in 10 to 15 years. Sooner if possible - that means investing my savings - very scary...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.