Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Stuff Upcycled into Earring Display Frame

I stash all my earrings and other jewellery in bowls. They become a tangled mess. So I thought what/how could I make something to organise them, without spending money and came up with the idea of a Picture Frame Earring Display.

Roughly 1.5 years ago I picked up 6 vintage wooden picture frames for 50 cents to 1$ each. Also my ex Boss-Lady also gave me 4 plastic blue frames she was going to throw out. I already had a small sample pot of white paint at home that I use, here and there. And my neighbours recently put new fly screen in their windows and gave me a large piece of left over screen. And Dolly has plenty paintbrushes I can use.

I scrubbed 4 frames. Painted them front and back, attached fly screen and hooked in my earrings. Cute, Practical, Eco and Frugal. I love upcycling and I have been working on upcycling a few items in the past week when Dolly and the Rambling Expat are fast asleep. It gives me time to think and appreciate "quiet" that I so desperately crave while feeling satisfied with my creations.

Frame Ready for a Makeover

Favourite Classic Colour for This Type of Project - White!

Attaching Fly Screen Before Last Lick of Paint.

Ready To Use - Displaying Market Items.

My 1st Bottle Top Earrings I Made - I Might not sell them. I STILL LOVE THEM

Do you upcycle anything?

By the way this is Dolly when she discovered the Toys had come alive during the night! She was sooooooo excited she thought maybe our cat had set up the tea party. "No" I said, "I'm sure it was the toys because I saw Toy Story and I know the toys come alive when humans don't watch". So she said I was right and told her teacher and class mates exctitedly her morning discovery. This kind of stuff is frugal and priceless for long happy memories and experiences.

In Awe and Wonder!

Thank you for reading about me and my frugal living. Have a great day or night.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I would love sharing that news in my class. I love it when we hear about children's weekends..especially creative times at home or yomping (walking) in forests or making dens with old sheets!

    Your upgrading is wonderful. You are an inspiration and I love your blog.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have taken two of the plastic bins that come in personal lunch coolers, washed them and used them for storage of spices on my kitchen cabinet shelves. This way I can pull out the storage bin from the top cabinets, get what I want and put it all back. It stays neat.

    The coolers are plastic lunch box ones that kids take to school or adults use, not the huge coolers for a picnic.

    Good upcycle you performed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I cant get over how creative you are! I love upcycled practical items!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea, i have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so need one of these. I'll have to look around to see what I have I can make one out of. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.