Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Day

Today was relaxed. Dolly woke at 7:30am and said "Do you think Santa has come yet?" I said go and see. So she ran into the lounge and found many small parcels from us and from Santa. Dolly played with her Papa, The Rambling Expat while I squeezed in a bit more sleep.

Then the 3 of us made a batch of fresh pesto for my mum's Christmas present out of yesterdays basil harvest. We used basil, chilli, Parmesan cheese, garlic, toasted pine nuts and virgin olive oil. Simple luxury that is delicious on pasta, rice, veggies and by the spoonful. Mmmmmmm. Cost about $10 to make a jar full (pine nuts and parmesan are expensive here).




We then headed to my mums house for a left overs lunch from last nights dinner of Roast Pork, potatoes and veggies. Simple and delicious. On our arrival Dolly discovered Santa had left her a present at Grandma's, her beloved Rapunzel! Dolly jumped up and down on the spot about 20 times in her overjoyed excitement.

As you can see from the tutu I did not craft as planned. I decided to tell Dolly, that Santa had given a plain tutu for her to embellish herself. This worked a charm and she is looking forward to crafting her tutu into a work of art. This will be a fun and frugal holiday activity.




We had a simple, stress free, easy day just hanging out with my mum eating and watching French TV. On our return home we did a bit more cyclone preparation in the back yard as the winds may affect us tomorrow however it's believed we will not be directly hit. Tonight I will curl up with a book or watch a DVD that I picked up FREE from a Giveaway box at the office. Frugal life is good.

Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates this time of year. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading my ramblings, inspiring me and making my late nights fun.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.