Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

My Daily Gardening

Sometimes I think to myself am I an oldie now that I plodding around in my little garden plot? Have I gone from the nightclub bopper to garden digger for good?

The past 5 years has been a huge life change; having a child, getting a mortgage and a stable corporate job. An exhausting change. The gardening that I commenced just over a year ago has given me a place to ground myself, relax and feel at peace with nature. A kind of daily meditation to just be. Some days I do a lot but most days I do nothing except observe plants and insects, enjoying their great beauty.




With minimal effort my garden rewards me with lovely produce to harvest and incorporate into my meals. The benefit is great! I feel pride at the produce, it's organic, the food miles are low, getting my hands in the soil is physical activity and I have time to contemplate life. I feel enriched by my gardening experiences. Much richer then drinking a glass of alcohol and shouting over loud music. I do miss going for a dance, flirting around and acting silly but gardening is the winner and I am too in my new lifestyle choice.




Have you made great changes? Do you get nostalgic moments of wanting to be silly, carefree and spend spend spend? I do, but I pump the 80s music and get it out of my system, because my life is not always wonderful but it's pretty good and I am very lucky to be born in place and time of opportunity and I know we don't all have that chance.

Stephanie at frugal Down Under.


8 comments:

  1. Once I had children, I never looked back. Dance in the kitchen. Loud music and drinking lose their appeal. Flirting? Aren't you married? I thought you were.

    Being in the green of the garden is good for mental health. (not that I think you have any more needs than all of us.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure is great for my mental health the plodding the in the garden. Since I don't drink anymore the 80s music is my release sometimes. As my daughter is a non stop chatter box and rebel at the moment peace and quiet for just even a minute is also a real treat. Yep - been with my partner for 20 years in a few weeks. But always loved to flirt a little, back in my younger days. I'm French you know ;-) Can't take myself too seriously all the time. I love my partner there is no question about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden sounds like a little bit of heaven to me!

    And you are right, it's perfect for mental health. I love walking and being out in nature for that very reason-and it's frugal living too!

    I used to drink water first thing in the morning to rehydrate. Might go back to that.

    Keep up the great posts Stephanie!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go to a festival or two each year to get a dancing fix but the garden is what really nurtures my soul. Yours looks very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if it's because my local clubs are in a scummy town, but I really don't like clubbing anymore! I'll happily go and sit in a bar or pub with some friends, but whenever I go to a club now everyone seems so young (they're 18, I'm only 23 but feel so old!!) and trying too hard to impress. I think maybe it's because I'm not out on the pull!

    Dancing is fun though, I might have to take up Zumba again!!

    I definitely do get the spending urge now and again. I usually think about the item for a few days, and if I still really want it I will go and buy it. I am not often in town though so I guess I'm avoiding temptation! I much prefer going to the beach with some friends, or even out for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please accept a 'One Lovely Blog' award from me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so envying you your lovely gardening weather after the wet dull summer we are having this year, still enjoying my garden though and like you it is a place to ponder and just enjoy being.Your produce looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that not only is your gardening a hobby, but provides you with fresh food to eat too! Definitely a life change for the better. Sometimes I miss going out and being silly, but make up for it in other ways

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.