Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fabric Book Cover


Hello You :)

Guess what! I crafted yet another gift. This time for a grown woman, it was actually for the Director of my local Botanic Gardens who loves all things Plants. I once saw beautiful fabric covered note books at a craft fair. They were so lovely, however I couldn't justify the cost. I have drawn on the memory of them ever since so I decided to look at You Tube for inspiration and a DIY tutorial to do something similar and found this clip.




After watching and thinking how easy that looked, I decided I could do that. But there was no way I was going to the craft shop to look for special glue when i'm trying to make do with what I have at home. And I also know from experience that glue in humid tropics does not always work.

Therefor make do I did... and worked around it. I cut a beautiful vintage tea towel with Australian wildflowers, folded and ironed as recommended in the clip and carefully sewed it into shape instead of glueing. I ended up using pins and repining a few times to get the perfect super snug fit I was after.




It worked out well and I felt pretty happy with myself as it was a gift I was proud to present to another lover of upcycling and environmental care. The cover can be slipped on and off for easy washing or to cover a new note book of the same size making is re-useable and not another throw away item.

My total cost was $2 for the tea towel and $7 for the quality drawing notebook. I'm happy with that. 

Have you worked on any similar projects? Do you think it's too time consuming for the end result? I would love to hear your thoughts on crafting gifts and upcycling. 

In Eco-Frugality,

Stephanie at Frugal Down Under
frugaldownunder@hotmail.com


1 comment:

  1. I think your book cover is great. I covered a boring diary once with some old jeans. I'm getting ideas for Christmas now. Thanks
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.