Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Passion Fruit, Capsicum and Corn

I spent most of my $39.50 Happy Yess Concert Market Stall profits on garden items.

I spent $37.25 and this is what I purchased:
  • 1 Passionfruit plant.
  • 1 Green Capsicum plant.
  • 2 Corn plants
  • 1 Chocolate Mint Plant. (Dolly asked it it would grow chocolates - I wish...)
  • 1 sturdy plastic garden digging tool for Dolly.
  • 4 Bamboo stakes.
Chocolate Mint - It really does smell like chocolate mint, chocolate bars!
I'm so thrilled to have bought these without digging into my savings. If all goes well these items will bring us delicious food to the table without the hundreds of kilometres to get here. Plus I have $2.25 left over which is going into our Borneo Holiday Fund.
Can't wait to plant this one and reap the fruits.
Tonight we ate Baramundi that the Rambling Expat caught last weekend with raw Ceylon Spinach from my garden plot. Our food miles were low, the food healthy and it didn't hurt our purse strings. This make me happy after our monthly takeaway dinner last night, over packed in paper and plastic.

This weekend is the NT Sustainable Living Festival at the Botanical Gardens. I'm spending some time volunteering on a cake stall to fundraise for the Botanical Gardens Community Food Garden which is where my plot lives. It should be fun and I hope will also prevent me from having to purchase a $6 ticket to the festival.

What has made you happy lately?

2 comments:

  1. One thing that makes me UNhappy is still not being able to comment properly. I love reading you posts that makes me happy. From Nixnax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the commenting has annoyed me to lately.

    What's up with all the bumps at Blogspot lately?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.