Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Dolly Has Caviar Taste

This week 4 year old Dolly asked me for caviar sushi for her morning tea lunchbox. So I obliged. I calculated it cost roughly $7 to make 3 full nori rolls. One for each of our lunch boxes. A special treat and much cheaper then a take away shop.

A Life Of Luxuries on the Cheap

Mmmmmm.
I know sushi is not really a morning tea item - but it's healthy and Dolly loves it - so why not... Her lunch box never comes back home with sushi left overs. They also don't take me long to make. Once the rice is cooked and cooled, they only take me a couple of minutes to fill and roll.

I have also discovered that I don't need the extras such as the bamboo mat. I just place my seaweed sheet on a chopping board. Press the rice down with a wide plastic spoon. Top with filling and roll. Easy Peasy.

In the next couple of weeks I will post photographs of me making sushi. I will also try and attempt a You Tube video! Now that is a Super Big Aim.  :-)

Any Scary Big Aims in Your life?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks difficult! I'm impressed! Always tempted to take a sushi class - did you go to one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the You Tube video. You have to do it now you've told us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caviar for preschool? LOL...you probably tongues wagging as to exactly how wealthy you are.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.