Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sweet Homemade Chocolate Bars

On our arrival home I cooked quick angel hair pasta with a jar of sauce as we had serious business to get to. Dolly and I were on a mission to make decadent Rocky Road with macadamia nuts, rice bubbles, turkish delight, marshmallows, snickers, mars bar and of course good old cadbury milk chocolate.

This is the last piece for the major fancy gift pack as seen here and here that Dolly is giving her special person tomorrow. We did a little tasting along the way of course and at the end we both had a bowl each to lick and share. Ahhhh the Good Life :-)

Dolly Said This Looked Like Salad!

Mmmmmmmm, Chocolate in the pan ready to be harden in the fridge. We made 2 pans full = 16 generous chocolate bars.

Decadent!

When the chocolates were cut and wrapped in my new favourite style, they were so sweet and pretty I couldn't stop looking at them. I was inspired by a library book showing home made chocolate bars wrapped in pretty wrapping paper. I thought why buy pretty paper when there are so many super cute vintage books all ripped and damaged at the fraction of the cost, ready to use and preventing it from entering landfill.

Wrapped and Ready.

The completed gift is ready for tomorrow morning, being given as a Thank You from Dolly to someone she loves (and Drat - it's not me - I wouldn't mind getting this gift, I'll have to spoil myself and make a pack for me).


Crafted With Heart.

Break Down Of Gifts Costs:
  • Rose Petal Sachets .80 cents each = $3.20
  • Necklace = $1.00
  • Bottle Top Magnets .5 cents each = 20 cents
  • Chocolate $1.15 each = $2.30
  • Vintage Staffordshire Plate = .50 cents.
TOTAL Gift Price = $7.20

I think the gift is very eco-frugal pretty and I'm feeling proud of my efforts. These 2 years has seen a big change in me from a buyer of regular stuff, to a buyer of discounted stuff, to a buyer of second hand stuff and now to a buyer of second hand stuff to recreate into other items. Many hours and lots of heart went into these gifts, which is a much nicer feeling then wandering around a department store looking for a generic gift like all the others.

Has your lifestyle changed in the past couple of years?

4 comments:

  1. It all looks fantastic! I hope Dolly enjoys the look of joy on her special person's face as they open it! :) I love the chocolate wrapping style! Might have to try that with some sweet stuff I'm making too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! There will be many lucky recipients for these gifts. Especially love the chocolate wrapping idea. I started giving homemade last year, which I like to mix with op shop presents. The only thing I sometimes buy new are books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lifestyle has changed a lot in the last couple of years, as I now live in two cities. It's quite expensive, and I'm enjoying learning tips from you to stretch my funds a bit further.

    Congratulations on making such a beautiful and thoughtful gift package with Dolly. I'm sure it will be well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saving with attitudeDecember 16, 2011 at 2:34 AM

    yum looks wonderful, I think I might borrow your great idea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.