Our Frugal Lifestyle

My photo
Passionate about eco-frugality. I used to party hard, clubbing my way from pay-packet to pay-packet. Never getting ahead, just getting by. Then came our much wanted baby with no savings in the bank - only an old car. Changes were made to our lifestyle and we didn't turn back. In the past 6yrs we purchased a flat, found employment, lived below our means, built an emergency fund, purchased a reliable car and saw the financial benefits of our frugal lifestyle. Our only debt is our mortgage. Our aim is to manage our cash flow wisely, pay off our home quickly and eventually work for pleasure, not necessity. Join us on our journey, share insights, tips and tricks to help us and others to get ahead while having a good time.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Something Fishy

Hi Everyone,

The Rambling Expat has been fishing a bit more than usual as we are on holidays at home. This week he caught and filleted a medium sized Barramundi (he is careful about Fish management and not taking too small-baby or too large-breeding fish). Once filleted and in the fridge, I stepped in and cut up the left over fish carcass and head. I threw some away (tail, gills and guts).

I placed all the salvaged bits into a pot of water on rapid boil for 15 minutes and then simmered for an hour and let it sit to cool down. Once the broth had cooled down, I sieved the liquid into another pot and picked the flesh off the fish bones (a slow and tedious process) to add to the liquid. I placed this in the fridge for the next day.



The next day I blended the jellied broth and flesh together.



In another pot I placed olive oil, garlic, fennel, 1 large spoon of tomato paste, carrot and a little broccoli stem until it was soft and aromatic.



I then added half of my fish soup-stock. I let it boil a few minutes then simmered for an hour. It was the most delicious soup I have had in a long time. As a child I loved bouillabaisse and the taste of this brought me back to those memories.



I was quite pleased with myself because not only did we use most of the fish up (nothing worse then a an animal dying for little) but we also saved ourselves money with the extra meals created. This soup was a family hit and will definitely be made again - however it is time consuming and might be harder to manage when we are back to our regular routine.

I'm not always great at using food wisely but when I do I feel a sense of achievement. How about you? Do you use your food to its full potential?



Stephanie @ Frugal Down Under.


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I do use my food to its full potential. Then, I give the gristles, fat, and bones to my hens. They manage to leave bones slick with all tidbits of meat gone to making happy hens and eggs. When I eat the eggs, I give the toasted shells back to the hens to make strong shells on the eggs they lay.

    They also make short work of any vegetables ends and fruit (apple cores) that I don't eat. Green vegetables make the eggs contain Omega3 which is used to treat and prevent heart disease.

    I never buy chicken food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just found your blog, and am enjoying it a lot. One of my missions this year is to really try hard not to waste anything, food, or anything else I have.
    Not always easy, but worth giving it a good go. I am very impressed with your fish stock and soup. I havn't cooked much with fish, obviously not married to the right man! Still, I have learned to make delicious chicken stock recently, which has made the chickens stretch further. Looking forward to your further adventures..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - I love getting feedback, sharing experiences and learning from you.